This course is for personnel undertaking the responsibilities of shippers’, including operator’s staff acting as shippers, operator’s staff preparing lithium batteries as Company Materials (COMAT). The training covers the requirements for shipping lithium batteries under Packing Instructions 965- 970 (Section I, IA and IB).
You will acquire the skills and knowledge to pack and ship lithium ion and lithium metal cells and batteries by air, in compliance with the regulatory requirements of the ICAO Technical Instruction and IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations (DGR). The course includes classification of lithium batteries, completing the necessary documentation, marking, labelling and packaging of shipments.
The training course can be undertaken in your own time at your own pace. You will have access to a comprehensive workbook with exercises in each section to test your learning.
You will need access to a current IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations to complete this course. This is available to buy or to rent on a weekly basis. Please choose this option during checkout.
This training course covers the following areas identified as a well defined job function:
- Understanding the basics of dangerous goods
- Dangerous goods applicability
- Understanding the general limitations
- Identifying roles and responsibilities
- Understanding the importance of classification and packaging
- Understanding hazard communication
- Familiarising with basic emergency response
- Classifying dangerous goods
- Evaluate a substance or an article against the classification criteria
- Determine dangerous goods description
- Review special provisions
- Preparing dangerous goods shipment
- Assess packing options including quantity limitations
- Apply packing requirements
- Apply marks and labels
- Assess use of overpack
- Prepare documentation
Upon successful completion of the training, students must undertake a remotely proctored 1:1 examination.
Previously covered under Category 1 Lithium Battery Training.